Adieu (pronounced ah dee yuh) translates to "God be with you" and is generally used when you know that you won't see the person in question for a long time.

Monday, January 3, 2011

New Job has fitness benefits!

So, I knew in taking this new job that I was going to be spending more time on my feet than I have in the past, but it turns out there is more to it than that in terms of fitness benefits. The company I am working for has a "START!" program in place, designed by the American Heart Association.

During a normal 8 hour shift, I get 2 government-mandated 10 minute breaks, one for each 4 hour time period I work. But with the start program (and the okay from my supervisor & provided it doesn't cause problems with workflow), if I use those breaks to get outside and walk, they will give me 2x the paid break time, ie instead of 20 minutes of paid break time per day I get 40.

And there's more: if I do this program, keep track of the miles I walk, and turn them in to my HR manager, at regular intervals depending on number of miles I've walked I will get prizes; a free pedometer, gift certificates for coffee or smoothies, etc. Once the miles get higher, the prizes get bigger, as much as $50 or so in a gift certificate to local businesses.

I will have to see if this routine works out with the way things run at work, but I think this program could be a great addition to my fitness routine! I am pretty sure this is a nation-wide program that several companies put in practice, but if yours doesn't, maybe you could talk to your management/HR and have them implement it too.

It was a nice surprise for my first day at a new job.

1 comment: